This innovative online program provides educators with the opportunity to earn a Graduate College Certificate in Reading Instruction from the Program in Language, Reading, and Culture (LRC).
The University of Arizona Graduate College Certificate in Reading Instruction provides educators with the essential tools needed to enhance their careers as reading specialists. The program is designed for experienced teachers seeking professional development, mid-career professionals needing additional training, and student teachers desiring the literacy know-how to secure employment.
Students who complete the Graduate College Reading Certificate Program are able to:
- Assist literacy learners of all ages, pre-K, grades 1-12, and adult.
- Understand the nature of the reading process and how to offer quality instruction. .
- Understand the foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction.
- Utilize a wide range of instructional practices, approaches, methods, and curriculum materials to support reading and writing instruction.
- Put to use a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan effective instruction.
- Integrate knowledge of instructional practices, curricular materials, and assessment and evaluation tools to create a literate environment that fosters both reading and writing.
- View professional development as a career-long effort and responsibility.
Fifteen units are required for the certificate. Twenty-one units are required for the endorsement.